Sunday, June 14, 2009

Second Submission Tournament


I had a rough week leading up to this tournament and I felt like it was time to take out some pent up anger, those poor boys in my bracket didn't stand a chance. I had weighed in at 169 and felt like I was ready. My first reaction to my group was that they all looked in good shape and you most people really would never want to tangle with any of them. I had a bye the first round the Kid got sick or something. This worked out good for me because I could stay on the Matt in the warm up area and all the matches. After watching them I looked up at my buddy John Bate and motioned to him that I was going to break these guys in two. This might sound Cocky but after getting beat up by all my bigger, stronger, and faster friends 170 lbs. don't really scare me. I got this Tyler Mears who had some really good looking take downs in warm ups and had a couple guys there he had been coaching. I didn't want him to get off the first shot so I arm dragged him into a single leg and quickly mounted him. I held tight for a couple seconds to let him buck and squirm, seeing what he'd open up for me. I secured an arm triangle and jumped off to the side. I felt him tap and let go. It seemed like it took longer than it did I was pretty happy to get that out of my way in only 1:17. I knew this may pay off in the next matches. My second match was against Ethan Johnson. I talked to him before the match, just small talk I told him to "Overlook me. That I'm just a guy that trains out of his basement by watching Youtube." I didn't mention that my training partners and team DPG crossfit had been kicking my tail everyday for three months. I was nervous to be in the finals for my first time and the only things I knew about him was that he had won his first match in 5:15 and his second in 1:48. We locked up and I tried for a take down, he kind of stuffed it. I knew I hadn't shot the way I should of on a guy like this. I regrouped and this time really went for it and secured him with a deep single. That's one bad thing about wrestling take downs yea you get the guy down but most the time they land in guard. I passed to the side and when we scrambled I took his back and body triangle (figure four around the body) him. I hooked in a rear naked choke but his chin was still down. I had a Severn grip on my hand so I just curled my left arm towards me and forced his neck to bend past the normal range of motion. I felt his body kind of loosen up and then there came the tap at 1:36. I was very happy with the day and felt like I represented my Grappling group and Crossfit team well. Good day got first and didn't have to get beat up in doing it.
p.s. picture show how Dan Severn use to hold his hands for the choke.

No comments: