Friday, October 17, 2008

How It all started

Hello,
Well this kind of seems a little less than manly. I had to start my own blog because I have a lot of rants and ideas that would of crowded my families page. There must be something to this, because there has been at least three night that I've woke up to Mindy reading blogs on the computer when she should be sleeping. Some might wonder about my Blog name? This dates back all the way to third grade when Spencer Loveless and I learned what Embalming meant. He told be that when we got older we would open a morg. and call it "Palmer's Embalmers". As I grew up I found a sport that was just getting started called MMA (UFC), I told myself that my fight name would be "Robbie The Embalmer Palmer". Then while serving a mission in Nova Scotia I made a great friend (Joshua Grey) who's family owned a morg. in New Zealand. When I told him my Fight name, he agreed 100%. Speaking of MMA? Free fights tonight on Spike T.V..
Here are my thoughts:

Bisbing vs. Leban = Bisping will be the better striker, and will most likely win, but Leben has a crazy chin and can take a lot. His only chance is to knock out Bisping. If it goes to the ground Bisping has the advantage in my book, some might disagree but he just hasn't had to show it yet.

Jardine vs. Vera = This one I'm thinking Vera if he shows up to fight. If he comes out the way he has in his last two fights he'll find himself in Chuck Lidell's position of having to watch reruns of Jardine beating him while knowing he should of never lost the fight. (nothing against Jardine He's a stud, I was able to go and grapple at the same gym he trains at while I was in New Mexico COOL PLACE! Greg Jackson is one of the best MMA Trainers in the world.)

There are a lot of fights on the card most unknown fights so I can't really base my opinion about them off of stats alone.

See that is a good example of why I needed my own page?

Last Sept. Nate and Kami surprised me by getting me and Nate tickets to UFC 76 "Knock Out"
The promoters named it this in hopes that every fight would end in a knock out. Since then I have had a drive to compete in something ,but MMA does have some draw backs? For instance I still have to provide for my Family, so what happens if you get caught and break something like a leg or a jaw? Losing a job over a Hobie isn't really smart. Second by nature I'm not really a mean person. Wrestling was o.k. because you can beat people up and hurt them but you don't have to hit them until there eye's roll back into their head or the ref. pulls you off. Third people's perception of the sport? People have a hard time seeing anything but "human cock fighting". This is unfortunate because it really is a true sport with the most highly of trained athletes in the world. I think people see boxing and think it's safer because of the gloves they wear. Well statics speak for them self, other than last year the only other fighter to ever die was in an unsanctioned fight in Ukraine. Boxing, Football, Hockey, Nascar lose people all the time. I think if my Bishop was a boxer people might not see anything wrong with it, but If he was a MMA fighter it might cause some problems. To avoid this I'm going to compete in a submission tournament down in Orem on the 15th of Nov.. My good friend Craig Salazar was coming over and teaching me a lot and helping progress, I think he's really helped me get going in the right direction. I like the transition form wrestling to submission grappling. Most of the moves can be used in both sports ,but I know a good submission grappler could beat a wrestler almost every time. My friends from work have been helping me also. They take turns beating me up, a new person jumps in every 1:30 min. that way I'm always getting a fresh person to grapple with. I use to think I could do anything for 15 min. ? Well try that and you'll think twice. I still have Wednesday night's open for Grappling. We start @ 7:30 and go for about 1 1/2 hrs. call if you want to come over.

No comments: